Research and Editorial Team:
Pauline Betche, Martin Hoffmann for ECPMF
In Germany, 2020 was the year with the highest attacks on journalists since these data have been monitored.
The increase is related to Covid-related demonstrations, where most people refuse to believe in a free pluralistic press.
The key findings of the study:
Safety of journalists
- A negative record: 2020 presented the highest number of incidents in a year (69) since the first Feindbild study was published
- The most dangerous location for the job: 71% of attacks took place during pandemic-related protests
- The geography of violence: 23 attacks in Berlin. Sachsen remains a hotspot with 19 attacks
- The political imprinting of the perpetrators: 33 incidents can't be placed on left/right spectrum; 31 cases right wing; 5 left wing
- Lasting trend: In 2021, already 8 new attacks verified
- Overall, 182 cases documented and verified between 2015 and 2020
The content of this article can be used according to the terms of Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) . To do so use the the wording "this article was originally published on the Resource Centre on Media Freedom in Europe" including a direct active link to the original article page.