Trust in media
- Another negative record: With 83 physical assaults against media professionals, the year 2021 exceeds the record previously set in 2020 (69 attacks).
- Crime scene demonstrations: 75% of all cases occurred at protests against COVID-19 containment measures.
- Hate is moving westward: Although Saxony remains the negative leader with 23 cases, attacks in Western Germany are increasing significantly.
- Wide-ranging political classification: 39% of the assaults in 2021 were from the right-wing, 1% from the left-wing, and 60% could not be clearly attributed.
- A worrying development: Journalists are increasingly withdrawing from from reporting on protests.
- Winter of violence: 19 cases in December 2021, 18 cases in January 2022 – never before have so many cases been recorded within two months.
- Overall view 2015-2021: ECPMF documented 265 cases.
The content of this article can be used according to the terms of Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) . To do so use the the wording "this article was originally published on the Resource Centre on Media Freedom in Europe" including a direct active link to the original article page.