The International Press Institute (IPI) is a global network of editors, media executives and leading journalists. The institute is dedicated to the furtherance and safeguarding of press freedom, the protection of freedom of opinion and expression, the promotion of the free flow of news and information, and the improvement of the practices of journalism.
IPI works by:
- conducting direct advocacy with governments
- raising awareness on violations of media freedom through news coverage, research and analysis
- leading programmes and campaigns to further change
- offering platforms for cooperation, networking and skills exchange among our members
- promoting high-quality, independent journalism through the development of best practices at the global level
- providing opportunities for dialogue among diverse journalistic communities, in line with IPI’s founding principles
IPI runs a project called OnTheLine, that aims at promoting online journalists’ safety and countering threats against press freedom and freedom of expression in the digital sphere.